Db2 for z/OS Development is offering a week-long Db2 for z/OS Master Class for experienced Db2 for z/OS System Engineers and Database Administrators. During this class, we will discuss the most common issues related to continuous availability and speed of recovery in Db2 for z/OS environments, and will share proven best practices to exploit the full power of Db2 for z/OS and IBM Z mainframes. We will also provide a deep dive on how to monitor and tune Db2 for z/OS system and transaction performance using Db2 Statistics and Accounting traces. For more details about the agenda of the class, please refer to the Curriculum section below.
This is a CLIENT-ONLY course and client participation is BY INVITATION only.
Clients who take part in this Master Class will benefit from:
- Small class size- for a more intimate learning experience
- Meeting the Db2 for z/OS Development SWAT team- opportunity to partner with SWAT team members for personal mentoring
- Networking- opportunity to build lasting relationships with other clients who understand the power of Db2 for z/OS
There will only be two offerings of the Db2 for z/OS Advanced Class in 2023 and seating is very limited.
If you are a client who is interested in attending this class, please fill in and submit the application form.
Alternatively, if you are an IBMer and you have a client who is interested in attending the class, you can fill in and submit the application on their behalf (one form per company).
Application Submission Deadline
Applications will be reviewed and acceptance notices will be emailed. A registration link with payment instructions will be included in the invitation. If you have any questions, please contact Dorothy Lin (email@example.com)
Last day to submit an application and register is two weeks prior to class start.
- Monday, June 26, 2023, (9:00 am) to Friday, June 30, 2023, (2:30 pm) British Standard Time (BST), 4.5 days
- Monday, September 18, 2023, (9:00 am) to Friday, September 22, 2023 (2:30 pm) Pacific Time (PT), 4.5 days
- The first class (June) will be held in the UK at IBM Hursley, Hursley, Winchester.
- The second class (September) will be held in the US at IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory, San Jose, California.
NOTE: In the case of any COVID related issues, we reserve the right to change the class to a virtual class up to two weeks prior to the class start date.
Client participants must have at least 1 of the following (or equivalent experience level):
- IBM Certified System Administrator - Db2 for z/OS
- IBM Certified Database Administrator - Db2 for z/OS
- $2,950 USD per client participant
- Client participants are responsible for their own travel, lodging, and meal expenses
- A registration link with payment instructions will be included in the invitation.
Click here to submit the application: Db2 for z/OS Advanced Class Application Form
Module I - Continuous Availability
- Continuous availability vs. Fast failover
- Coupling Facility structure duplexing
- Automated restart
- Multiple Db2 data sharing groups
- Multi-site data sharing group and extended distance
- Preventative software maintenance
- Application considerations
Module II - Special Considerations for WLM, CICS and DDF
- WLM policy
- CICS/Db2 interface
- Distributed access to Db2 for z/OS
Module III - Speed of Recovery
- Disaster Recovery
- Db2 log-based recovery
Module IV - System Performance Monitoring and Optimization using the Db2 Statistics Traces
- Data collection
- Db2 system address space CPU time
- EDM pools
- Log activity
- Memory management
- Buffer pools
- Data sharing performance
- RDS sort
- DDF activity
Module V - Understanding Db2 for z/OS Accounting Information
- Data collection
- Where is a Db2 transaction spending its time?
- Most common reasons for large suspension times
- Additional accounting info
Anthony Ciabattoni is an IBM Certified Executive IT specialist and a current member of the Db2 for z/OS Development SWAT team based out of the Silicon Valley Lab with over 29 years of working directly with Db2 for z/OS. His experience includes be a customer lead Db2 architect as well as working in the Db2 for z/OS Tools development lab. He is a recognized Db2 for z/OS SME, 12+ years a member of the IBM Db2 for z/OS Customer Advisory Council and elected 9 straight years as an IBM Information Champion before joining IBM. In Anthony’s current role as a Senior technical advocate for Db2 for z/OS Development Lab he conducts consulting and educational workshops, Db2 health checks, and 360 Continuous Availability studies for worldwide Db2 for z/OS customers as well as a lab advocate to some of IBM’s largest North American customers. He has also presented Db2 topics at IBM worldwide conferences, IDUG (NA, SA, EMEA) and SHARE Conferences (US). Participated in authoring numerous Db2 for z/OS red books and white papers.
Michal Bialecki is an IBM Certified Technical Specialist and a member of the DB2 z/OS Development SWAT team where he supports and advocates for customers across various industries and geographies. For the last 15 years, Michal worked for the Db2 for z/OS organization in support & development at IBM Silicon Valley Lab (SVL). He is a former speaker at IDUG conferences, DB2 user groups and webcasts.
Bob Tilkes is an IBM Senior IT Specialist and a member of the Db2 For z/OS Development SWAT team based out of the Silicon Valley Lab with over 20+ years working directly with Db2 z/OS. His experience includes the past 20 years as an IBM customer working in the following roles: Lead Db2 z/OS as system engineer, database administrator, and application developer. He has extensive experience in Db2 z/OS installation/migration, security (design, audit, compliance, & governance), Db2 z/OS application modernization, vendor tool management (installation & support) focusing on high performing, highly available, and highly resilient systems/applications. Prior to joining IBM, he was an active member of the Db2 for z/OS and Db2 for z/OS Tools Customer Advisory Council. In Bob’s current role as a senior technical advocate for Db2 z/OS Development Lab he conducts consulting, educational workshops, Db2 health checks, and Db2 for z/OS 360 Continuous Availability Studies for worldwide customers. He has also presented on several Db2 topics at IBM Conferences (US).