The IBM Community is a thriving network of over 200,000 product users, experts, learners, and teachers, spanning over a dozen product and topic areas. Our community utilizes a gamification program to thank you for your contributions and to reward your engagement. You may have earned badges you didn’t even know about or would like your efforts to be recognized outside of the community. We’re excited to announce our updated program!
Eight weeks ago, we set out to reinvigorate our existing community gamification program – you know, points, badges, etc. As we talked to members and stakeholders, 3 opportunities for improvement emerged:
- Requirements to earn a badge were too complicated
- Multiple achievement levels for a single badge were confusing
- Members want to share significant achievements externally
We took this feedback and studied the existing program, as well as best practices from other communities. Today we are proud to announce the reboot of our IBM Community Gamification program. *throws glitter*
What we changed:
- Eliminated multiple levels within a badge category
- Created two distinct recognition paths: Stamps and Badges
- Stamps are standalone activity achievements displayed within the IBM Community only
- Badges are earned by completing a set of activities and can be displayed on LinkedIn
- Improved badge dashboard with progress bar
- Achiever’s lounge page to educate members on the program
- Complete stamp and badge redesign to align with IBM badge program
Stamps are stand-alone achievements. Members who complete the specified requirement will earn the corresponding stamp. Stamps are displayed within the IBM Community only. We believe this approach is much easier to understand, while still providing a good challenge.
Badges require multiple activities within a stated period of time. Each badge is a prerequisite for the next level up; you must earn the New Citizen badge, for example, before you can earn the Community Contributor badge. The new badges also reward your membership longevity; someone can’t just join and earn one of these the same day. Finally, we wanted to provide a way for you to display your community achievements to your network, so badges are externally shareable on LinkedIn and your Credly dashboard.
Check out all of the new stamps and badges, and how to earn each one, at the Achiever’s Lounge. Keep your eyes peeled for emails congratulating you on each badge you’ve earned!
Now, it’s time to celebrate your participation and our accomplishments as an entire community!
Join us on September 8th at 10:00AM ET for our first virtual IBM Community Social Hour – “Back to School” event. This will be great fun, with music, games, fun, and a Q&A with IBM Chief Community Officer Marius Ciortea.
Register today at: http://ibm.biz/communitybacktoschool
#community-event #gamification #badges #stamps #social-hour