IBM Business Automation Workflow (BAW) on containers is part of IBM Business Automation Workflow (BAW), also included in IBM Cloud Pak for Business Automation (CP4BA) as one capability.
CP4BA includes BAW, in addition to everything you have in BAW, you have the additional advantages of CP4BA, like Containerized authoring, Workstream Service, Automation Services, Automation Decision Services, Automatic Document Processing etc., and all foundation components like Process Mining, RPA.
The article describes the topology of BAW on containers in CP4BA. Including the capabilities and how the capabilities integrate with each other.
Please note, the topology has some differences between BAW on Containers in BAW and CP4BA. The BAW on containers in BAW does not have IBM Cloud platform foundation, no matter it is on OCP or non-OCP. It means there is no IBM Cloud platform foundation in the topology of BAW on containers in BAW. As a result, you can not use the following features from IBM Cloud platform foundation for BAW on containers in BAW：
- Identity and Access Management (IAM) service. Instead, BAW on Containers in BAW integrate with User Management Services(UMS). UMS is configured with LDAP.
- ElasticSearch service. Instead, embedded Elasticsearch will be applied, and you can always choose to use your external Elasticsearch.
- Business Automation Insights(BAI) since it is now installed by IBM Automation foundation in 21.0.3
- Business Automation Machine Learning (BAML). It requires BAI. Since 21.0.3, BAI is not supported in BAW on Containers in BAW as it requires BAI which is installed by IBM Automation foundation
Compared with CP4BA 21.0.2, there are following changes in CP4BA 21.0.3:
- Fully support the IBM Cloud Pak Platform UI (Zen). The IBM Cloud Pak Platform UI (Zen) acts as the single point of access to all Cloud Pak for Business Automation capabilities. External users connect to the Zen hostname, instead of the individual hostnames for each of the deployed capabilities.
- User Management Service single sign-on (SSO) is replaced by the SSO from IBM foundational services IAM.
- User Management Service Teams moved to IBM foundational services and is now named Business Teams Service.
- User Management Service SCIM 1.0 is replaced by IAM SCIM 2.0.
- Business Automation Insights is now installed by IBM Automation foundation.
The BAW container runtime environment provides an enterprise workflow platform to run cloud-native solutions. It works together with authoring environment that is on the traditional VM or on-premises system, or containerized authoring from CP4BA on OCP.
BAW on containers topology in CP4BA:
BAW on containers topology in BAW:
The full topology contain: