UrbanCode Deploy coordinates multi-container deployments across environments
Deploying a container to a host is trivial, but how do you manage related containers, setup rules for release, and interact with the myriad of schedulers, registries and clouds involved? UrbanCode Deploy brings its industry-leading release automation capabilities to the Container world to handle these problems.
UrbanCode Deploy allows you to coordinate complex multiple container deployments to a set of Docker hosts or cloud provider container and/or kubernetes services of your choice.. UrbanCode Deploy can also help deploy containers that are part of a larger or legacy application deployment process, which can help you convert large, monolithic applications into microservices. You can also orchestrate deployments across multiple hosts like IBM Kubernetes Service or AWS or Azure Kubernetes for hybrid scenarios where you are using different flavors of container based on environments.
With UrbanCode Deploy’s built-in security features, you can customize user permissions and quality gates and keep stakeholders up to date on deployment actions and status, giving you enterprise scale confidence in your container deployments.
Why automate container deployments with UrbanCode Deploy?
- Portability that enables hybrid cloud: Docker Containers allow developers to automate testing and deployment to production, while also enabling the same app to be moved across multiple (hybrid) clouds. UrbanCode Deploy brings visibility to what images are deployable within an environment based on validation, certification or test processes and automates image management between Cloud Registries and on-premise Docker registries
- Security and governance: Customize user permissions, quality gates, and approvals so only images or containers that meet your criteria can be promoted. Ensure separation of duties concerns are addressed, and incorporate manual approvals where required, from development to production.
- Visibility and auditability: All containers are automatically versioned in UrbanCode Deploy so you can see what version (of any application or microservice) is where (any on-premises or cloud environment) and who deployed it. Containers that contain microservices can also be grouped together in a snapshot, which assures the right version of each service is joined with its fellows for deployment.
See the github repository for the many UrbanCode Deploy plugins. Start at the documentation level and search for the plugin you need: https://urbancode.github.io/IBM-UCx-PLUGIN-DOCS/
- Docker: run Docker containers via UCD component templates and map Docker images to components within UrbanCode Deploy (requires Docker Source Config plugin)
- Docker Registry: Source plugin – import versions from registry – traceability, governance, trusted sources
- Docker Compose: configure a single component in UCD and use it to deploy a Compose file with many services. Create components and corresponding inventory for each of those automatically.
- Kubernetes: interact with Kubernetes sources within the UCD interface and kick off deployments across environments. Our partner Apprenda (PaaS provider) has a similar plugin.
- OpenShift: interact with OpenShift applications within the UCD interfact and kick off deployments of Docker container packaging and Kubernetes container cluster management.