IBM shared some exciting news in October that represents an important evolution of the IBM Sterling brand. Beloved by clients for its pioneering leadership in managed file transfer, B2B integration and distributed order management, Sterling now embodies our broader commitment to help companies build smarter business networks.
As the year winds down and you have some time to reflect, you may have some lingering questions about our announcement. So, I thought I’d take the opportunity to answer a couple of the most frequently asked questions from our Managed File Transfer (MFT) users.
Q. Why the change in brand name to IBM Sterling, and why now?
A. For decades – across multiple industries and thousands of clients around the globe – the Sterling brand has been recognized as a leader in B2B collaboration and order management. In fact, many of you never stopped calling these solutions “Sterling” after Sterling Commerce became part of IBM.
As we build on our legacy of industry leadership, we are extending Sterling’s brand equity to a range of IBM B2B collaboration offerings. For example, IBM File Gateway is now IBM Sterling File Gateway; IBM Connect:Direct is IBM Sterling Connect:Direct; and IBM Control Center is IBM Sterling Control Center.
Q. How does this announcement impact my current MFT solutions?
A. Other than the updated naming conventions that reflect alignment to the IBM Sterling brand, this announcement does not impact your MFT solutions. We remain fully committed to the IBM Sterling MFT suite and being a leader in the MFT market.
One aspect of leadership is innovation. Staying true to that,we introduced more new capabilities in 2019 than in any previous year. These capabilities are expressly designed to make your job easier as you face increasing pressures to reliably and quickly transfer mounting volumes of data from and to different sources, at faster rates, under tightening security and regulatory standards, with the same or fewer resources.
Some of the highlights from 2019:
- Continuing support for your journey to the cloud with containerization and modern cloud object storage capabilities for IBM Sterling Connect:Direct and IBM Sterling File Gateway – read the blog and watch the webcast
- The launch of IBM Sterling Control Center Director v1.0, facilitating management and administration of IBM Sterling Connect:Direct nodes – watch the webcast
- The new Web console for IBM Sterling Connect:Direct – read the blog
- New SSO and blacklisting for IBM Sterling Secure Proxy and SEAS 6.0 – read the blog and watch the webcast
- Extending IBM Sterling Control Center Monitor to third party apps – watch the webcast
- My File Gateway 2.0 UX improvements
- IBM Sterling File Gateway to IBM Sterling Partner Engagement Manager integration
And we’re just getting started, with plans for continued momentum into next year and beyond.
In fact, we invite you to register and join us for a webcast on December 11th at 11:00 EST to learn how our containers –now certified on Red Hat OpenShift –enable you to take an important next step in your cloud journey. Hear from IBM Sterling solution experts about how you can deploy MFT solutions – like IBM Sterling Connect:Direct and IBM Sterling File Gateway – anywhere, with confidence.
Enjoy the holidays and we’ll be blogging again next year! Until then, if you have any questions or comments, please post them to the forum and we’ll answer as quickly as possible.