This page gives you instructions on how to create a blog, and provides some FAQs about the Community blogging environment.
Create a blog
Follow these steps to create a blog:
- Log in to the Community and navigate to your group.
- If you are not already a member of the group where you'd like to publish a blog, click the blue “Join” button.
- Click on the blogs tab in the selected group. On the right side of the page, select the grey "Create a New Blog Post” button.
- Give your blog a title and the permalink will auto generate from the title. You can edit the permalink to include your keywords.
- When deciding on a title for your blog, think about the question a user would type into Google to find your content. If you use those same words in your title, it can help your blog's performance in organic search.
- Type or paste your content into the text box.
- "Associate this post with a group" is automatically populated to your specific Community.
- Unless you want your content to only be visible to other Community members, choose "Public" in the "Who can read your blog entry?" drop-down menu. Google and other search engines will only find and index your blog if you've selected "Public."
- "Who can make comments on this?" is automatically populated to Community members. We recommend leaving this setting as is.
- Select "Publish."
Your first post as a new blogger may be put into a moderation queue. Please allow time for it to be approved by a site admin.
Frequently asked questions
- Is there a content review process?
The community does not provide a review process. We strongly recommend that you have at least one colleague review your blog for accuracy, clarity, and relevancy before you enter it into the Community platform. Even the very best writers can benefit from peer review!
- Can I copy a Microsoft Word file directly into the blog interface?
You can paste content from a Microsoft Word file into the blog platform, or type your content into the platform directly. If you're pasting from Microsoft Word, you may experience problems with images or videos, in which case you should follow the instructions below. You may also need to modify some of the formatting after incorporating it into the blogging window.
- How do I upload images and video files?
The blogging interface has buttons to allow you to either upload or point to image or video files. Just click the button and enter the appropriate information in the pop-up window.
- Does the community track metrics on how often a blog post is read?
Yes! Blog posts track page views, comments, and number of recommendations on the blog post itself.
How can I promote my blog post on the home page of my community?
Speak to the group admin for your community group.
- Should I share my blog on social media?
Yes, absolutely! Sharing your blog with your social networks, especially LinkedIn, increases traffic to your blog and can also help to bolster your reputation as a subject matter expert.
- How else can I help ensure my blog gets as many views as possible?
Sharing your blog on social media is crucial, but you can also follow several blog-writing best practices that help. Identify a keyword or key phrase and then use it in your blog title, blog URL, and at least two times in the body of the text. To decide on the right keyword, think about the core topic of your blog and follow these helpful tips:
- Think backwards: If you were a member of your target audience turning to the internet for more information on your topic, what phrase would you type into the search bar to find it?
- Keep it natural: You want your keyword to flow naturally in your title and content body, so avoid keywords that are a string of nouns.
- Use a "long-tail" keyword: Keywords with three or more words are perform better in organic searches. For instance, your blog performs better in searches if you optimize your text for the term “how to use QRadar user behavior analytics,” rather than just “QRadar” or even “user behavior analytics.”