Pure Storage registration in PowerVC
PowerVC 2.0 with its all new user interface and better options made registering a storage driver much easier. In this blog, we will see the procedure for Pure storage registration through PowerVC new GUI interface, and the parameters required during registration and de-registration. This blog also provides an example of volume creation using Pure Storage template and provides information about other supported operations.
Before adding Pure Storage to PowerVC, ensure that hardware and software requirements are met.
Registering Pure Storage device
To register pure storage device, perform the following steps.
- Go to Storages > Storage list and click Add.
- Select ‘Pure Storage’ from the Storage type drop-down.
- Specify respective parameters of Pure Storage.
Hostname or IP address of Pure Storage provider which needs to be added to PowerVC as Primary Pure Storage.
Name that needs to be displayed in PowerVC Storage Provider page.
User ID which is needed to provide login access to Pure Storage.
Password which is used to provide login access to Pure Storage.
Click Add Storage
. Storage will be registered in PowerVC. After successful registration of Pure Storage system in PowerVC, the new Pure Storage provider will be visible in the 'Storages' tab.
View Storage details
To view the details of the registered Pure Storage:
- Go to Storage -> Storage list -> <Registered storage>.
- To get the detailed view, click on Pure Storage.
Note: Pure Storage does not have any storage pools. Capacity details are directly fetched from array.
On successful registration, we can view the storage template created, which can be used for volume and VM provisioning.
Example for creating volume with Pure Storage base template
Perform these steps to create volume with Pure Storage base template.
- Go to Data volumes and click Create.
- Select PureStorage base template from the Storage template drop-down.
- Specify volume size in Size (GiB) field.
- Specify volume count.
You can also choose whether the volume can be shared between VMs.
- Click Create.
- After the volume gets created successfully, you can view the created volumes under Data Volumes.
All VM operations except virtual machine snapshot / restore, and retype of volume are supported on Pure Storage.
De-register Pure Storage device from PowerVC
To de-register Pure Storage device from PowerVC, perform the following steps:
- Before de-registering Pure Storage from PowerVC, ensure that the VM and images created using Pure Storage volumes are unmanaged from PowerVC.
- Select the Pure Storage system from the table, which you want to de-registered from PowerVC.
- Click Remove.
The following dialog appears if there is no volume managed by Pure Storage. Click Remove to start the de-registration of Pure Storage system from PowerVC.
Hope this blog helped you to get started with Pure Storage on PowerVC. In the next blog, we will focus on other operations pertaining to Pure storage template.
Thank you. Happy reading! 😊
If you have any questions about this topic, please comment below.
Knowledge center link: PowerVC
Keep watching our social outlets for more interesting information about PowerVC! Find and follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Twitter.