Programming can be defined as a set of instructions that are prepared in a unique language and entered into the computer to execute specific tasks. Although most people prefer using languages to meet professional needs, many developers, many developers consider it the best way to play with data, do analysis, find solutions and create functions.
There are several programming languages that are used by developers around the world; however, Java is the most preferred one to create feature-rich applications. This programming language is loaded with several data types that can help developers to create instructions and play with data to achieve end objectives. While working on codes, the developers may have to change the data types to understand how specific variables perform in the program; this type of testing applied to the data variables is named Type Casting.
Typecasting for filtration of data source elements:
In a simplified manner, computer programmers alter one data type to another to ensure that function processes the variable accurately. Some of the most common examples include integer to string conversion and floating-point to integer conversion. The experts at IBM prefer using type casting to achieve specific objectives in programming.
As typecasting is the process of assigning a value of one primitive data type to another primitive data type; programmers are required to check the compatibility condition of both data types before making an assignment. When the compatibility between data types exists, the typecasting can be performed automatically. However, when the compatibility between two data types is absent, the casting is executed explicitly.
The IBM developers prefer making use of Java for designing a variety of applications and programs. Experts also call it the casting of interface or class into a different interface or class. As Java is an object-oriented programming language, it extends support to both inheritance and polymorphism. In IBM systems, typecasting is used to refine the query results and it further allows the products to consider .xsd schema types as a unique type; almost similar to the programming language cast operations. Moreover, a type is not assigned to schema elements that have multiple valid types.
Typecasting serves more like an alternate filter for elements of the data source. The cast query helps to filter the results obtained from a regular query so that it can return only the elements that are castable to a specific type. Once the type is selected, it can be found in the data source view in the category of any type element. Queries that are developed using cast allow easy access to the child elements as well as attributes of a particular typecast. Note that the result set obtained from the cast query is similar to the result set obtained from the query that is filtered using the is kind of predicate. The difference between filtered query and cast query provides easy access to child elements and cast type attributes but a filtered query does not.
Procedure to perform type casting
The IBM engineering involves specific steps for performing typecasting. Below we have listed a few of them to help you understand the workflow:
- Drag a container element and put it into the template content editor.
- Now go to the Data Source View and from there, drag the ownedMember class to the template.
- Now perform naming of the container Class Container to ensure quick reference.
- Hit the icon and choose class typecast for an owned member.
- Drag the paragraph element and then place it right below the previously selected container element. Now add the package name inside Class Container while dragging the Name attribute.
- It is time to drag a text element and place it on the template content editor.
- Go to the Data Source View and bring the static text to the text element.
- Simply hit on the text element and then choose Edit Condition from the Data section.
- Under the Set Condition category available on the Current Element Window, simply expand the attributes and then select the IsActive attribute.
- Select IsActive for the left operand and Equals for the Operator.
- For the right operand, you need to enter true.
- Further, click Add and the condition is displayed as True.
- Finally, click Ok.
You can use this simple procedure for Investment casting to achieve desired results during programming.