Are you a Space Planner, a Real Estate Manager, or an enterprise struggling to understand how your workspaces are used?
Author: Geetha Adinarayan - Chief Architect, AI Applications, TRIRIGA Building Insights.
Real estate teams of large companies manage hundreds of buildings. The teams leverage workspace management systems such as IBM TRIRIGA to manage their workspaces. With the changing nature of work, it is common for employees to work from home and have flexible work hours. Therefore, it is very difficult for Space Planners to understand how much of their real estate is occupied and how much real estate is unoccupied. When a Space Planner walks around a building floor, they might see many empty seats. At the same time, the Space Planner might also receive requests for additional seats by business units. Until now, in this scenario, a Space Planner struggled to understand occupancy utilization without investment in additional hardware.
The solution - IBM TRIRIGA Building Insights
IBM TRIRIGA Building Insights is tightly integrated with IBM TRIRIGA and Cisco DNA Spaces. Enterprises can leverage data from Wi-Fi access points to understand the number of people present in the floor, at 15 minutes granularity. These people are automatically mapped to different organizations or business units to which they belong. The relationship mapping provides occupancy count and occupancy rate information at a business unit level and at floor and building level.
Figure1: Floor level dashboard providing occupancy rate by Organization
For a Space Planner to have meaningful conversations with business unit representatives about their workspace utilization, the Space Planner must know the following information:
- Portion of floor space used by different business units.
- Business unit occupancy information.
Space Planners get this information from the Floor view function in IBM TRIRIGA Building Insights, which shows occupancy rate by organization on the floor map.
Figure2: Occupancy rate by organization displayed on floor plan
You might ask how does the IBM TRIRIGA Building Insights solution work without having sensors? The following IBM TRIRIGA Building Insights integrations provide the magic:
- IBM TRIRIGA Building Insights synchronizes data from IBM TRIRIGA on a regular basis. The synchronization converts the point in time allocation and workpoint capacity into timeseries data.
- The timeseries data is fed into Watson IoT Platform for storage.
- IBM TRIRIGA Building Insights uses the Cisco DNA Spaces firehose API to process millions of user entry events and user exit events. The events reveal that a employees’ registered device, such mobile phone or laptop, detected and connected to a Wi-Fi access point present in that floor
- IBM TRIRIGA Building Insights maps each event to the workpoint allocated to that employee on IBM TRIRIGA and then to the business unit for that employee belongs to. This important mapping provides the business unit level occupancy count and does not provide any employee specific data and adheres to GDPR requirements.
Whats next ?
Read my next blog to understand how AI models are used to provide accurate occupancy rate information.
To read more details about IBM TRIRIGA Building Insights, see https://www.ibm.com/products/tririga/building-insights.
To collaborate with the IBM TRIRIGA Building Insights team and users via blogs, forums and events, join our TRIRIGA IBM community https://www.ibm.com/community/iot/tririga/.