By Dorothy Lin and Paul McWilliams.
IBM Db2 for z/OS development is again offering the week-long Db2 for z/OS Master Class
for advanced Db2 for z/OS system and database administrator clients, led by IBM Distinguished Engineer, John Campbell. Two sessions are scheduled for 2020. The first session will be held in the UK at IBM Hursley and the second session will be held in the United States at IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory (SVL).
Clients who take part in this Master Class will be able to participate in the following:
- Small class size - for a more intimate learning experience
- Mentoring sessions - partner with SWAT team members in smaller, personal groups
- Networking - build lasting relationships with other clients who understand the power of Db2 for z/OS
Participants at the SVL session will also meet the Db2 for z/OS development team - visit the incredible people whose work is known worldwide.
Session dates and locations
- Monday, June 22 (8 am) to Friday, June 26, 2020 (2:30 pm) at IBM Hursley, in the United Kingdom.
- Monday, September 28 (8 am) to Friday, October 2, 2020 (2:30 pm) at IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory, in San Jose, California.
Applications and submission deadlines
If you are a client who is interested in attending this class, fill in and submit the application form
. There will only be two offerings of the Db2 for z/OS Master Class in 2020. This class is a client-only course, participation is BY INVITATION only, and seating is very limited. Applications will be reviewed and acceptance notices will be emailed. A registration link with payment instructions will be included in the invitation. If you have any questions, please contact Dorothy Lin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The last day to submit an application
and register is two weeks prior to class start.
Client participants must have at least 1 of the following certifications (or the equivalent experience level):
- IBM Certified System Administrator - Db2 for z/OS
- IBM Certified Database Administrator - Db2 for z/OS
- $2,500 USD per client participant
- Client participants are responsible for their own travel, lodging, and meal expenses
- A registration link with payment instructions will be included in the invitation.
Module I - Continuous Availability
- Continuous availability vs. Fast failover
- Coupling Facility structure duplexing
- Automated restart
- Multiple Db2 data sharing groups
- Multi-site data sharing group and extended distance
- Preventative software maintenance
- Application considerations
Module II - Special Considerations for WLM, CICS and DDF
- WLM policy
- CICS/Db2 interface
- Distributed access to Db2 for z/OS
Module III - Speed of Recovery
- Disaster Recovery
- Db2 log-based recovery
- Module IV - System Performance Monitoring and Optimization using the Db2 Statistics Traces
- Data collection
- Db2 system address space CPU time
- EDM pools
- Dataset open/close
- Log activity
- Memory management
- Buffer pools
- Data sharing performance
- RDS sort
- DDF activity
- Module V - Understanding Db2 for z/OS Accounting Information
- Data collection
- Where is a Db2 transaction spending its time?
- Most common reasons for large suspension times
- Additional accounting info
is an IBM Distinguished Engineer reporting to the Vice President of zAnalytics Development at the IBM Silicon Valley Lab and is the technical leader of the world wide Db2 for z/OS Development SWAT Team. He has extensive experience of Db2 for z/OS in terms of systems, database, and applications design. He specializes in design for high performance and data sharing. He is one of IBM's foremost authorities for implementing high end database / transaction processing applications.Adrian Burke
is an Open Group Master Certified IT Specialist and member of the the Db2 for z/OS Development SWAT team. In this role as a technical advocate for Db2 for z/OS, Adrian conducts consulting and educational workshops, Db2 health checks, and availability studies for Db2 for z/OS customers. In his previous role as a Db2 Advisor in the Western U.S. Adrian supported numerous Db2 for z/OS customers from a technical sales perspective, delivering migration and performance workshops as well as consulting and education. He has spoken at numerous regional user group meetings as well as IDUG in the past few years. He is also the author of an IBM Redbook dealing with Db2 System and application performance.Michael Dewert
is a IBM Senior Certified Db2 Consulting Specialist and Senior Software Engineer based in Germany. He currently works as a member of the Db2 z/OS Development SWAT team supporting customers across various industries and geographies. Michael has over 25 years of experience working with Db2 z/OS. Before joining IBM in 2001, he worked for large banking IT providers in Germany. He has mainly worked on Db2 z/OS data sharing and parallel sysplex, but he also has experience in z/OS system programming, other subsystem environments like, CICS, IMS DC/DB. WebSphere, client/server, etc. Db2 data sharing implementations aiming for high availability and performance always was one of his key interest and focus areas. He is also a co-author of IBM Db2 Redbooks and White Papers.Michal Bialecki
is a member of the DB2 z/OS Development SWAT team where he supports and advocates for customers across various industries and geographies. Prior to joining IBM, Michal worked for four years as a system / application DBA for a Social Security government customer in Poland where he assisted other customers with DB2 z/OS. For the last 15 years, Michal worked for the Db2 for z/OS organization in support & development at IBM Silicon Valley Lab (SVL). He is a former speaker at IDUG EMEA conference - Berlin 2012/ Barcelona 2013 / Dublin 2015 / Insight 2015 / Lisbona 2017/ Malta 2018/ Rotterdamm 2019 and also a few DB2 user run events (csDUG, GSEfr) and webcasts. Michal is an IBM SVL representative and frequent speaker at Poland DB2 User Group.Anthony Ciabattoni
has over 25 years of professional Db2 for z/OS experience with expertise in high available 24/7 high transaction rate data sharing environments. He has a strong knowledge base in Db2 data sharing, Db2 system performance as well as high available systems. His experience covers DBA experience, Db2 system experience and experience in architecting a well tuned Db2 environment. Prior to joining the Db2 for z/OS Development SWAT team, Anthony was a Db2 Technical Advisor in the Db2 Tools Development lab and a Db2 Information Champion. He also spent many years as a high-end customer participating in the Db2 engine Customer Advisory Council.