WiDS Datathon 2020
A wonderful announcement from Women in Data Science.
Many congratulation to Madiha Ijaz, Muhammad Ammar Ahmed, Muhammad Usman Zafar, Maria Alejandra Sanchez - recently announced winners of the WiDS Datathon 2020- Excellence in Research Award. We are so proud of the team - and we hope their success will inspire the WiDS Datathon 2021 teams to participate in this year's Excellence in Research Award.
You can see the paper here . It is a model of brevity, as in 2020 the paper length was limited to one page. In 2021, the maximum paper length has been in extended.
You can also see the announcement of the award
WiDS Datathon 2021 - Experiences and Feedback
We are thrilled that at least 26 teams from IBM participated in the WiDS (Women in Data Science) Datathon in 2021 and appeared on the contest leaderboard. The teams were based in various countries including Brazil, China, India, Pakistan, UAE, UK, and the US.
The teams came from different groups such as Cloud and Cognitive Software, Finance & Operations, Global Business Services, Global Markets. and Research,.
Some IBMers also acted as mentors for both IBM and non-IBM teams.
Here are examples of great feedback from first time and experienced datathon participants to inspire others to take part:
- Trisha Maitra This Wids is a great opportunity for me to learn and hone my skills. We get to know the how the senior data scientists and SMEs (Subject Matter Experts) solve problem with real data. I would like to join and participate more in such datathons.
WiDS Datathon 2021 - On-Boarding Workshops
Within IBM we ran multiple datathon on-boarding workshops including the following sessions to make the novice teams comfortable engaging in a contest:
- 17 Dec - featuring Shreya Khare from IBM Research
- 18 Dec - featuring Shreya Khare from IBM Research
- 9 Feb - featuring Usha Rengaraju Kaggle Grandmaster X 2, Corporate & Faculty Training Programs (thank you Usha for being so generous with your time) & Arvind Betrabet from IBM Cloud
WiDS Ambassador and IBM leader Binu Midhun in Bangalore conducted a series of internal on-boarding events which resulted in an unprecedented number teams from IBM India participating :
- 20 Jan 2021 - On-Board IBMers (register, form teams, identify mentors)
- 28 Jan 2021 - Building a ML Model for Kaggle Competitions
- 3 Feb 2021 - World of Data Science - Need of the hour
- 4 Feb 2021 - Exploring ‘Explainable AI’
- 5 Feb 2021 - Overview of data readiness and assessment toolkit
- 11 Feb 2021 - Session on Diabetes and its treatment in ICU
- 19 Feb 2021 - Data Analysis
WiDS Datathon 2021 - Part 2 Excellence in Research Award
We encourage all teams to participate in the follow-on WiDS Datathon Part 2 Excellence in Research Award (final deadline 30 Apr 2021)
Many thanks to all participants, leaders, mentors and to those who provided feedback .
You may also be interested in the WiDS Regional Events in 2021