The Db2 Analytics Accelerator for z/OS (Accelerator) has improved the performance and reduced the resource consumption of hundreds of Db2 for z/OS applications. Db2 for z/OS Data Gate (Db2 Data Gate) provides synchronized Db2 data to cloud-based applications reducing read-only operational processing and the associated zSystems resources and offers query redirection and acceleration.
Many organizations want to understand more specifically how these technologies could improve their unique workloads. That is why IBM developed the Db2 Analytics Assessment process.
A workload assessment can help evaluate your workload and identify the benefits of routing a portion of the SQL execution to the Accelerator or Db2 Data Gate.
The “Accelerator Modeling” feature in Db2 for z/OS adds information during (dynamic or static) SQL statement execution to your SMF data. Then this data is used for analysis. An Accelerator does not have to be connected or configured for the system to perform this analysis.
Optionally, you may use EXPLAIN for individual SQL statements to analyze it's eligibility for acceleration.
A query workload assessment can be useful in the following scenarios:
- You have not used an Accelerator yet, but you want to analyze whether existing Db2 for z/OS queries or workloads would benefit from acceleration
- You already use an Accelerator, but you want to know whether new queries or workloads would benefit from acceleration before you prepare accelerators for running these queries or workload
A sample analysis
In this example, the same workload is executed in different times and its eligibility was analyzed.
- Elapsed Time and CPU Time eligibility is monitored
- How much of the workload was eligible in which part of the execution is assessed
Call to Action:
- If you are a customer or business partner, reach out to your IBM Data and AI on Z Technical Sales contact to get help.
- If you are an IBMer, write to #idaa-experts channel to reach out Center of Excellence Team to get help.
- If you would like to run the workload assessment by yourself, Technote for Statement based Accelerator Modeling can be found here