IBM Champions are innovative thought leaders in the technical community. They contribute regularly to the body of knowledge around IBM products and the technical community. Needless to mention, it is very prestigious to be in the elite club of IBM Champions.
The IBM Champion selection nomination process
Every year, IBM Champions are selected through a nomination process. Anyone can complete a nomination, although IBM encourages those seeking to become IBM Champions to self-nominate themselves, in addition to any community or IBM nominations they may receive. Individuals can, therefore, either nominate themselves or be nominated by their peers or IBM employees based on their contributions in the past one year.
As nominations are received, IBM evaluates each nominee’s contributions over the preceding one year from the date of nomination submission. At the close of the nomination period, an IBM panel considers the community impact, expertise, and overall contributions of the nominee. IBM evaluates nominees, both on the quality of contributions and the level of participation across a wide variety of community activities. Nominees get notified by IBM if they are selected as IBM Champions.
Once selected as an IBM Champion, one enjoys being a Champion for the next one year. Upon completion of a duration of one year of remaining an IBM Champion, one has to go through the nomination process once again. It should however be noted here that there are Lifetime IBM Champions who do not need to go through the IBM Champion nomination process every year.
So, who are these IBM Champions and what do they do?
IBM Champions are all those enthusiasts and advocates: IT professionals, business leaders, developers, executives, educators, and influencers who support and mentor others to help them get the most out of IBM software, solutions, and services. IBM Champions demonstrate extraordinary expertise, support and advocacy for IBM technology, communities, and solutions. Remember that IBM Champions are not employees of IBM.
The IBM Champion Program recognizes all the wonderful IBM Champions. The IBM Champion Program rewards the contributions of the IBM Champions by amplifying their voice and increasing their sphere of influence.
Some typical contributions and engagement of the IBM Champions fall into the following mentioned categories. IBM Champions have active, ongoing contributions in two or more areas among the mentioned categories.
1. Evangelizing and advocating for IBM
2. Sharing knowledge and expertise
3. Helping the community grow and nurture
4. Expanding reach across the IBM portfolio
5. Providing feedback and direction on IBM products
You can learn more about the IBM Champions and their contributions by visiting them on this YouTube channel.
Perks and benefits of being an IBM Champion
Being an IBM Champion comes with several perks and benefits that the Champions enjoy and cherish. Some such benefits include:
1. Invitations, discounts, and VIP perks at IBM as well as non-IBM conferences and events
2. Annual package of IBM Champion logo gear/merchandise to wear, use, and display
3. An IBM Champion-verified digital credential through the IBM Digital Badge Program
4. Visibility, recognition, and invaluable networking opportunities
5. Exclusive access to online IBM communities
6. Exclusive access to IBM product development teams
7. Promotion of an IBM Champion's work, content and assets via IBM’s channels
8. IBM Champions receive special recognition on their IBM Community profile