Today was z16 Day, it was hard to keep it all under wraps, but now it has been revealed. As a Lifetime Champion for z, its nice and rewarding to see that the path forward is so bright and exciting . As the speaker from JP Morgan Chase said "Don't call the mainframe "legacy"! This is a whole new breed of system.
With the company's new Telum Processor, the z16 is able to do AI inferencing on transactions; it can reportedly process 300 billion inference requests per day with just one millisecond of latency while conducting fraud analysis. IBM said AI capabilities on the mainframe can be used for loan approvals, clearings and settlement, and federated learning for risk in retail.
From the start there were several technical points to take :
- As the frequency of cyber attacks continues to skyrocket, the #IBMZ z16 helps you to protect your data with a quantum safe system out of the box with no changes!
- A z16 can seamlessly handle outages by shifting workload to an alternate site
- A z16 allows you to create a secure and cyber-resilient system
- A z16 delivers native quantum safe cryptography... first of its kind!
- A z16 can run 300 billion #AI inference models per day!
- A z16 has 22 billion transistors in a single chip (over 18 miles of wire)
- A z16 is a full participant in the #HybridCloud
There are many more but those are a few I picked up on. Also through Design Thinking many of the features were created with many customers and clients from the beginning. The sheer power and resilience of this system is amazing.
We also heard in Dr. Melissa Sassi's session where the name Telum
came from, I will not spoil it here you have to watch the session "IBM Telum Processor - Designed for AI
My entire career (almost 45
years on the Mainframe) has been looking at the the mainframe systems to architect customers business critical applications as the backbone of their existence! Due to the z systems security, reliability, scalability and ease of integration, i have worked with countless global companies integrate the z into new systems. So it's very humbling to see that the z16 opens another door in the future of the z systems.
I won't steal more of the thunder but just wanted to share,,,,
The old saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same
", in this case "the more things change, the more they keep improving"
And as I usually say "The Mainframe Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"