Multiple innovations and enhancements were released in 2022 for IBM OMEGAMON Storage for z/OS and the OMEGEMON Engineering teams are pleased to announce the next installment of new features requested by Storage Administrators managing large environments.
These new features are available via PTF UJ92017 for APAR OA64032 and greatly enhance the user experience for Storage Administrators using the Realtime Dataset Metrics (RDM) user interface.
1. New History mode for View By > All Datasets
With this new release collections (extracts of datasets from DASD, Tapes and DFSMShsm) can be saved and viewed at a later. date. You can determine how many history files to keep and manage them like GDG datasets by keeping only a limited number and automatically cleaning up no longer needed collections.
To review data from the previous collections you will need to press the Gear button on the top-right and choose “History Mode”. The “History mode” dialog will be opened where you could do the following:
- To find an applicable collection by specifying one or several interesting data source type(s): Datasets from DASD, Tapes or DFSMShsm (Backed-up and migrated).
- Choose the data collection from a specific date and time.
- Change the number of stored collections by changing a value in “Max count of data sources”. If the limit is reached, the oldest collection will be removed. With a “0” value previous collection will not be removed.
2. Schedule “All Datasets” collection to minimize cost and avoid critical workload times.
When scheduling storage file data information, it is important to schedule the collection times to avoid costly peaks when your company licenses software by Monthly License Charges (MLC) and if your company licenses software by Tailored Fit Pricing (TFP) to when your mainframe has the most capacity available and of course scheduled around business-critical workloads.
RDM now allows Storage Administrators to schedule when data will be collected and (see above) how many collection files to store.
The schedule option was added to the “Collection control” dialog on “View By > All Datasets”. It allows users to schedule “All Datasets” collection for specific data sources, at a specific time on selected days of the week.
The “End time” option will stop collection at a specific time. This could be useful to prevent any collection activities before the scheduled critical workload at a specific time.
3. View Data Differently now by Team or Function.
RDM had the ability to previously let users build custom displays of data and to store the Filter for repeated use.
RDM now allows users to build custom displays that are focused by user role and focus reported data directly to the needs of the user. Custom Filters can be saved into Groups to allow users to quickly find and use the best filters for their specific role.
On View By > Data Set and View By > All Datasets when you save the filter now you could specify “Filter Set group” from the drop-down list or enter a new group name manually.
These groups could be used to filter previously saved filters. You could keep saved filters in separate different groups based on user, department, product, etc. In addition, we added “Search” input where you could find a filter by part of its name.
4. User Interface Enhancements, improving the User Experience in Result section.
A big thank you for the customer suggested enhancements to make it easier and faster to access the data needed in the Results Section. If you have suggestions for more improvements, please create an Idea for OMEGAMON for Storage, sometimes small changes have big impact, and the development engineers appreciate the Ideas.
- On View By > Data Set link button is added for rows representing the multivolume datasets to drill down and overview
- You can use CTRL + Click, SHIFT + CTRL, CTRL + SHIFT + Click, and CTRL + A to select data on the page. Holding the CTRL button, you could select data on different pages.
- For selected rows, you could press CTRL + C to copy values in CSV format to the clipboard.
- For selected rows, you could right-click on the interesting column and press “Copy column value/s” to copy values for only this column to the clipboard.
- On View By > All Datasets on the bottom-left you could specify any page (even if it is not loaded). As a result, you do need to scroll data to see specific pages.
- On View By > All Datasets you could use CTRL+ L to open the "Select Line dialog" and navigate to the page where the requested line of data is located.
Please contact your IBM Account Management team if you would like a demo of IBM OMEGAMON for Storage Realtime Dataset Metrics (RDM) including the new features that have recently been added.
IBM OMEGAMON for Storage for z/OS Product Overview
IBM Z OMEGAMON for Storage for z/OS Documentation
#OMEGAMON #IBMZ #IBMZOS #AIOps #Storage